Friday, April 4, 2014

Scrapbooking

I've been with my boyfriend for just over 3 years now. He has an Uncle, Warren, whose wife passed away in 2007, which is way before I met my boyfriend or any of his family (obviously). Warren had a bunch of sympathy cards from his wife's passing and he wanted to have a scrapbook made with them so he could look back on them and read the nice notes people wrote about his wife. I will take any excuse for a creative outlet, and I love making other people happy, so I volunteered to make the scrapbook for him. The scrapbook turned out much better than I (or he) expected, so I thought I would share some pictures I took of the scrapbook before I gave it to Warren. Sorry the pictures aren't the best, I took these before I even had the idea of a craft blog.



This is actually the first page I did. I never do the first page of a scrapbook first because I feel like I don't have the creative juices running. I like to get an idea of the overall theme of the scrapbook, so I usually do the first page last or close to the end. Anyways, the smaller cut out on the left hand page actually has some depth to it. I bought one of those 70 cent foam pieces from Hobby Lobby to be able to add a little depth to my scrapbooking. Kinda a fun effect. 
This page is the perfect example of a great color combination. With this project, I basically had a stack of cards to pick from. In the beginning, it was really easy to match colors and make great page compositions, toward the end you will notice some not-so-great color combos. 


This is one of my favorite pages of the entire scrapbook. I absolutely love how the page on the right turned out. I grabbed a bunch of scraps of cardstock in colors that matched the card fronts and just played around with it. 
This is another one of my favorite pages. I love the purple flower design with the light teal and purple. 
 

I was a little skeptical about using such a bright color in a sympathy scrapbook, but I think tying in bits of orange with the pastel pink actually worked okay without being too in-your-face bright. 

Again, love this color combo.



This layout is a bit mismatched. Basically I wanted to try some new techniques. I love the simplicity of the page on the left with the complexity of the woven scraps of cardstock. It wasn't too difficult to do, either. I had just bought a new hexagonal stencil (by far my favorite shape). I think overall the pages turned out nice separately, but I am not entirely sold on them together. 
This is another great example of the use of scraps of cardstock that turned out really nicely. 









Warren had these little heart cut-outs that people had written notes on. I am guessing they were from the service that was held. I punched holes in all of them and thought it would be cute to make them look like they were being strung up across the page. 
I love a simple last page. Especially for such a delicate topic, it's a nice way to wrap up.

Happy Scrapping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment